ESSO 34 – BASO 2014 was a unique event held in joint partnership to mark the historic relationship between ESSO and BASO. Designed to promote the highest standards of surgical care in the management of patients with solid tumours, the theme of the ESSO 34 – BASO 2014 Congress was Quality Outcome, Global Perspective.
This highly regarded Surgical Oncology Congress provided the perfect platform for participants to exchange and debate the very latest in cancer patient treatment and care. With a record attendance of well over 1000 delegates from 60 countries and up to 80 invited leading cancer experts, the ESSO 34 – BASO 2014 Congress was an outstanding scientific, educational and social event.
The new Congress format included six tracks: Breast, Colorectal, Oesophago-Gastric, HPB, Nursing and Miscellaneous (head & neck, sarcoma/melanoma, pelvic cancer).
Find out further information:
- Colorectal Cancer Track by Graeme Poston
- Peritoneal Surface Oncology Track by Santiago Gonzalez-Moreno
- Nursing in surgical oncology by Anita Margulies and Erik van Muilekom
- The Hepato-Pancreatico Biliary Track by Hassan Malik
- Breast Cancer Track by Lynda Wyld
- Oesophageal and Gastric Cancer by Bill Allum
Besides the plenary lectures and symposia, the programme included the following popular sessions:
Meet-the-Experts Breakfast Sessions
The sessions were specially formulated to provide delegates with a unique opportunity to meet in a formal but relaxed atmosphere.
Plenary Debate Sessions
Short clinical case studies on specific topics were presented and the audience had the chance to vote before and after the debate.
Joint Society Sessions
To emphasise the importance of a multi-professional approach to cancer patient care, the number of Joint Society Sessions, involving experts in different disciplines was increased for 2014.
Take a look at the detailed scientific programme offered during the Congress
Click here to download the abstract book in a pdf format
349 posters were presented during the ESSO 34 BASO 2014 congress. The ESSO Education & Training Committee rewarded the 3 best poster presenters, namely:
Click here to view the posters presented at the ESSO 34 BASO 2014 Congress.
21 video presentations split in 2 sessions were presented at the ESSO 34 BASO 2014 Congress. The ESSO Education & Training Committee rewarded the 3 best video presenters, namely:
Click here to view the videos presented at the ESSO 34 BASO 2014 Congress.
During the congress a number of awards were given to the following people for their outstanding contributions in their field.
To read more information on the awards please click here.
- ESSO Best Proffered Paper Award: Dr. J. Kitayama (Japan) Salvage sastrectomy after intravenous and intraperitoneal paclitaxel (PTX) combined with oral tegafur/gimeracil/oteracil potassium (S-1) for gastric cancer with peritoneal metastasis
Read about the highlights of each day by downloading the congress daily updates
The ESSO 34-BASO Scientfic Committee has awarded 5 bursaries to young doctors from countries with low-income or low-middle income economies.
The following individuals have been granted a congress fellowship to attend the congress this year:
- Akshay Anand Agarwal, 28, senior resident working in the specialist oncology unit of the Department of Surgery at King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, India
- Dilshod Ergamberdiev, 36, working as an oncologist in the Abdominal cancer unit of the National Cancer Center of Uzbekistan in Tashkent
- Hisham Khalifa, 38, lecturer of Surgical Oncology at the NCI-Cairo University, Egypt
- Prashant Sharma, 36, working as a surgical oncologist at Mittal Hospital & Research Center, India
- Leekhi Nitin, 34, working as a surgical oncologist at the Regional Cancer Center of Trivandrum, India
Each fellow received a grant of 500 EUR to cover travel expenses and/or accommodation or registration to the Congress.
Newsletter issue 4 An insight on 3 main track programmes: breast cancer, hepato-pancreato-biliary cancer, oesophago-gastric cancer
Newsletter issue 3 An insight on 3 main track programmes: colorectal cancer, peritional surface oncology, nursing in surgical oncology
Newsletter issue 2 Trailblazers in surgical oncology and research at ESSO34 – BASO2014
Newsletter issue 1 Welcome to ESSO 34-BASO 2014
Arena and Convention Centre Liverpool (ACC Liverpool)
Click here to view a short video on the venue.
Please visit the congress website.