ESSO Pre-Congress Course on Hepatobiliary Cancer Surgery
18 October, 2022 - Open
Venue: Bordeaux (FR)
Aims of the course
A major focus will be placed on the multidisciplinary team (MDT) approach and decision making strategies for complex HPB malignancies. The most appropriate choice of diagnostic techniques and oncologic treatment in the multimodality setting and the optimal timing of surgery will be discussed for locally advanced and oligometastatic cancer. Areas of uncertainty in the indications and timing of treatment and controversies will be highlighted. Technical challenges of resection, including vascular resection, will be discussed, and tips and tricks will be provided on how to overcome problems.
Special focus will be placed on identifying, correct reporting and treating of specific HPB surgery-related complications and challenging situations that all HPB surgeon would encounter during their career. Participants will be encouraged to actively participate in MDT case discussions.
- To understand the current multimodality approaches, the indications and timing of surgical and oncological treatments.
- To be able to have an active role for patient management in multidisciplinary case discussions.
- To be familiar with the technical aspects of extended resections and how to minimize the risks inherent to the procedures.
- To be able to identify patients at risk for complications and to deal with severe complications appropriately to avoid fatalities.
- Plenary lectures
- Case discussion sessions
- MDT session
- Residents in surgery
- Fellow surgeons
- Junior HPB surgeons and experienced general surgery consultants who would like to broaden their knowledge on HPB surgery.
Before applying for this course please read carefully the ESSO Terms and Conditions for Educational Live Events.