ESSO Fellowship in Breast Surgery
The objective of the ESSO Fellowship in Breast Surgery is to provide subspecialist education to surgeons who wish to have further specialised training in the multi-modality clinical care specific to the breast patient and a deeper training in breast cancer research.
The fellowship consists of at least 12 months of continuous education and training following successful completion of a residency program leading to board eligibility.
Mandatory educational activities
At least 12 months devoted to training in breast surgery, including formal rotations on surgical and non-surgical breast services.
- Participation in 50 operative procedures (as surgeon or first assistant). The experience should include diagnostic biopsies, partial mastectomies, mastectomies, axillary node dissections, sentinel node biopsies and reconstructive procedures. And oncoplastic procedures.
- Clinical rotations including non-surgical breast services are: breast imaging, genetics, pathology, medical oncology, radiation therapy, and research. These formal rotations should be completed with the fellow’s participation in structured multidisciplinary conferences (MDT) and attendance to subspecialty tumour clinics.
- Attendance to conferences, lectures, debate series, journal clubs and multidisciplinary case conferences. This didactic experience should include not only clinical breast problems but also transnational science, clinical research and ethical problems.
- Part of the programme must be devoted to clinical or laboratory research. Clinical must include the design of clinical protocols, the recruitment of patients for clinical trials and the participation in an investigative project.
- Participation in the EBSQ exam
Click here for more detailed information about the objectives of the fellowship and the mandatory activities to be carried out.
Nightingale & Genesis Breast Cancer Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester University Foundation Trust (Manchester, UK)
Call for applications is now open for fellowship position from 1st December 2019 to 30th November 2020. Click here to know more.
Application and selection process
- 31/08/2019: deadline for application
- By 20/09/2019: announcement of results to the candidates
You can apply for this position if you
- Hold Board Certified General Surgeon or Gynecology in your country
- Are GMC registered*
- Hold a current license to practice as a general surgeon and/or gynaecologist
- Are an ESSO member (applications from non-ESSO members will not be considered)
- Have a good level of English
*Please be aware you will need to deal personally with this as well as with any visa arrangements.
If you wish to apply, please send the following documents (in a single PDF document) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Uncompleted applications will not be considered.
- Curriculum vitae including biographical data and graduate and postgraduate education
- Motivation letter describing your interest in breast cancer training and your academic interests
- Supporting letter from the Chairman with who you have spent the chief residency
- Supporting letter from two of your supervising staff doctors
An administration fee of 500€ will be paid by the selected candidate upon confirmation of his/her participation.
Information for participating institutions
Please click here for information about how to participate in the programme as a host institution.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com