SSO/ESSO International Career Development Exchange
The International Career Development Exchange (ICDE) program provides support for up-and-coming surgical oncologists, with leadership potential, who are members of an SSO Partner Society. The program pairs ICDE Recipients with a leading SSO member “Mentor,” and enables recipients to attend the SSO Annual Meeting, participate in a post-meeting visit to their Mentor’s institution, and develop long-term relationships to improve cancer care in their countries.
The recipient will receive the following:
- A stipend of $3,000 USD to assist with travel arrangements, which will be provided onsite at SSO 2019 via check
- The opportunity to visit ONE U.S. based institution
- Matched with an SSO member mentor in the U.S. who will host the Recipient at their institution and serves as a professional contact for Recipient after he or she returns home. The Mentor is matched to an ICDE Recipient based on shared professional and scientific interests.
SSO Annual Meeting
- Complimentary registration for the SSO Annual Cancer Symposium
- An opportunity to display and present an Abstract Poster in the Global Posters Section in the Exhibit Hall
- One (1) year of complimentary membership with SSO (subject to approval), which includes a subscription to the Annals of Surgical Oncology.
The Grant is not intended to completely cover all travel or daily expenses during a Recipient’s trip. For example, the Grant does not cover medical care, medical insurance, travel insurance, taxes, gratuities (tips), phone calls, etc. The Recipient is financially responsible for all expenses.
Within 30 days of the visit a detailed report is expected on the activities and experiences of the successful award recipient, both good and bad, explaining their goals before the visit and what they have accomplished. Report criteria will be provided prior to SSO Annual Symposium.
Individuals must meet the following criteria in order to participate in the International Career Development Exchange program.
1. Recipients must be a member of ESSO in good standing.
2. Recipients cannot have previously received the SSO ICDE grant.
3. Recipients cannot have previously attended more than one SSO Annual Meeting in the past three (3) years
4. Recipients should be 45 years old or younger
5. Recipients must have leadership potential
6. Applicants must be fluent in English (both writing and speaking).
7. Applicants must be able to travel to the United States in March. It is preferred that Grant Recipients already have a current passport.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete online application form (found below) and attach a Personal Statement, Curriculum Vitae, Letter of Recommendation and Photograph in one single PDF document by 15th October 2018 at 18:00.
The Personal Statement includes the following required sections:
- Background – Provide an overview of your oncology background and a description of oncology in your region of the world.
- Specific Objectives – State concisely and realistically how attending the Annual Cancer Symposium and being mentored by an SSO member at a cancer center in the United States will impact your work and oncology in your country/region. List specific objectives that you wish to accomplish while participating in the program.
- Future Plans – Dissemination of the knowledge you gain is an important element of the ICDE program. State how you will apply what you learn during the Annual Meeting and the time spent with your mentor at a U.S. cancer center. Provide examples of lectures, meetings, and any other future plans you will carry out after returning to your home country.
Please submit your Letter of Recommendation from your Program Director/Chair of your Department/Director of your Institution. If you are currently enrolled in an oncology training program, the Program Director should write the Letter of Recommendation. The Letter of Recommendation should address the relationship between the ICDE Recipient and the letter writer, how the ICDE recipient compares to his/her colleagues, how participation in the ICDE program will impact the applicant, and the opportunities the applicant will have to disseminate the information learned upon returning home.
Before applying, please ensure you have already uploaded your CV to your profile.