The ESSO Education Committee offers trainees in Surgical Oncology the possibility to visit a specialist centre outside of their own country, helping them to expand their experience and learn new techniques.
The Education and Training Committee grants two types of fellowships each year:
- 8 Standard training fellowships (value 1.500 EUR): from 1 to 3 months
- 1 Major training fellowship (value 6.000 EUR): from 4 to 12 months
The ETC reserves the right to split the major fellowship if 2 candidates are judged to be of equal merit.
The following apply to both types of fellowships:
- The traineeship period should occur within one year following the deadline for application.
- The fellowship position must NOT be salaried.
- The fellowship must take place in a country other than the applicant’s current place of training.
All successful fellows will be expected to write a report about their experience and provide a testimonial and pictures for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of return from the fellowship.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be a specialist, trainee or junior doctor with a declared intention of specialising in a sub-specialty of surgical oncology (breast, upper GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic, colorectal, endocrine, head and neck, thoracic, skin cancer and melanoma, gynaecology, urology, sarcoma)
- Applicants must be ESSO members in good standing (please note: applications from non-members will not be considered)
- Applicants must be younger than 40 years of age or be in a training grade
- Both European and non-European citizens can apply. European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European centre
- Previous Fellowship recipients will be ineligible to apply for a second award
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted online (in English only) and include the following information:
- A motivation letter describing the applicant’s area of interest, research plan and reasons behind the visit
- A letter of support from their Head of Department
- A letter of invitation from the Head of the Department they wish to visit
- A proposal budget sheet estimating how the funds will be spent
- A CV including present and previous positions held (include dates from and to), relevant publications and presentations to learned societies
Applicants must submit all above documents in a single PDF document. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
When to apply?
Applications are now open, please click the 'apply now' button at the bottom of this page. The deadline for application is 31st October 2019.
Please click here to access the host hospital/institutions/cancer centres registry. Please note this is not an exhaustive list. You can also select any other institution of your choice.
In 2018, the major fellowship was granted to:
Gijs van Boxel, from Oxford University Hospital (UK), to visit University Medical Center Utrecht (NL)
The 8 standard fellowships were granted to:
- Orestis Ioannidis, from Medical School Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (GR), to visit Fondazione IRCCS Ca' Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico di Milano (IT)
- Olalekan Olasehinde, from Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex from University of Ilorin Teaching hospital (NG), to visit The Royal Derbi Hospital (UK)
- Slava Kopetskyi, from National Cancer Institute (UA), to visit The Chaim Sheba Medical Center (IL)
- Anastasios Angelou, from University of Athens (GR), to visit Cleveland Clinic (SU)
- Tapan Singh Chauhan, from Gujarat Cancer Research Institute (IN), to visit Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud
- Saket Kumar, from King's George Medical University, to visit Verona University (Institute of Pancreas) (IT)
- Mariana Morales, from Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Médicas y Nutrición Salvador Zubirán (MX), to visit Leicester General Hospital (UK)
- Ramya Yethadka, from Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Center, Manipal Hospital (IN), to visit Royal Marsden NHS Trust Foundation (UK)
Before applying, please ensure you have already uploaded your CV to your profile.