All training and research fellowships are on hold by now.
The ESSO Education Committee offers trainees in Surgical Oncology the possibility to visit a specialist centre outside of their own country, helping them to expand their experience and learn new techniques.
The Education and Training Committee grants two types of fellowships each year:
- 8 Standard training fellowships (value 1.500 EUR): from 1 to 3 months
- 1 Major training fellowship (value 6.000 EUR): from 4 to 12 months
The ETC reserves the right to split the major fellowship if 2 candidates are judged to be of equal merit.
The following apply to both types of fellowships:
- The traineeship period should occur within one year following the deadline for application.
- The fellowship position must NOT be salaried.
- The fellowship must take place in a country other than the applicant’s current place of training.
All successful fellows will be expected to write a report about their experience and provide a testimonial and pictures for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of return from the fellowship.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be a specialist, trainee or junior doctor with a declared intention of specialising in a sub-specialty of surgical oncology (breast, upper GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic, colorectal, endocrine, head and neck, thoracic, skin cancer and melanoma, gynaecology, urology, sarcoma)
- Applicants must be ESSO members in good standing (please note: applications from non-members will not be considered)
- Applicants must be younger than 40 years of age or be in a training grade
- Both European and non-European citizens can apply. European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European centre
- Previous Fellowship recipients will be ineligible to apply for a second award
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted online (in English only) and include the following information:
- A motivation letter describing the applicant’s area of interest, research plan and reasons behind the visit
- A letter of support from their Head of Department
- A letter of invitation from the Head of the Department they wish to visit
- A proposal budget sheet estimating how the funds will be spent
- A CV including present and previous positions held (include dates from and to), relevant publications and presentations to learned societies
Applicants must submit all above documents in a single PDF document. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
When to apply?
Application process closed until 2023.
Please click here to access the host hospitals, institutions and cancer centers registry. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and that you can select any other institution of your choice.
In 2019, the major fellowship was granted to:
Georgios Gemenetzis, from Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, (UK), to visit Ruijin Academic Hospital, Shanghai, (CN)
The 8 standard fellowships were granted to:
- Francesco Missale, from University of Genova, IRCCS Ospedale Policlinico San Martino, Genova, (IT), to visit Antoni Van Leeuwenhoek Nederlands Kanker Instituut, Amsterdam, (NL)
- Orestis Lyros, from Department of Abdominal, Transplant, Thoracic & Vascular Surgery University Hospital Leipzig, Leipzig, (DE), to visit National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Laikon General Hospital, Athens, (GR)
- Ashish Jakhetiya, from Geetanjali Medical College and hospital, Udaipur, (IN), to visit University of Berlin Charité Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, (DE)
- Juliana Restrepo, from Instituto Nacional de Cancerología, Bogotá, (CO), to visit Fondazione IRCCS - Instituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, (IT)
- Rimma Bolotova, from P.A. Hertzen Moscow Oncology Research Center, (RU) to visit Liverpool University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool, (UK)
- Elisabetta Marino, from University of Perugia, General and Emergency Surgery, Perugia, (IT), to visit Tokyo cancer center and Osaka University, Tokyo & Osaka, (JP)
- Sanjeev Kumar, from Max Institute of cancer Care, Max Healthcare, Delhi, (IN), to visit Hôpital Saint-Louis, Paris, (FR)
- Oladele Situ, from National Hospital Abuja, Abuja, (NG), to visit Royal Derby Hospital (Derby Teaching Hospitals), Derby, (UK)