The General Assembly is the supreme governing body of ESSO and convenes once a year during the ESSO Congress. All ESSO members are invited to attend the General Assembly in order to discuss strategic issues, elect the members of the Executive Committee, approve the accounts and budget ESSO, and vote on any constitutional changes when relevant.
- The Board of Directors conducts the affairs of the society and implement activities that support its mission. The Board of Directors meets at least twice a year, and its members are elected for a term of two years, renewable once.
- An Executive Committee composed of the officers of the society, namely the President, Past-President, President-Elect, Secretary General and Treasurer, meet on a regular basis in-between the Board of Directors meetings.
- An Education & Training Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Directors on the educational and training development strategy of the society and proposes new projects and activities.
- A Communications Committee is responsible for communicating about ESSO activities and projects through the ESSO website and social media.
- A Congress Committee is responsible for supporting/conducting relevant and innovative clinical research projects in various tumour types in surgical oncology with a view to stimulate quality improvement of cancer care in Europe
- A Membership Committee has been created to foster the two-way communication between the ESSO Board and the ESSO members.
- A Research Committee has been established to support the development of ESSO's clinical research projects.
- A Patients Advisory Committee will foster the ESSO collaboration with patient representatives from all over Europe, collect patients’ feedback as concerns their experience in surgical oncology and integrate it in all of ESSO activities and projects.
- A Young Surgeons Committee who's aim is to help junior surgeons play an active role in the future of surgical oncology
- Ad hoc working groups or Task Forces can be created to tackle specific matters when appropriate.
- A Secretariat composed of a Chief Operations Officer, an Education Co-ordinator and a Society & Membership Co-ordinator supports the governing bodies and committees of the society and implements their decisions.