ESSO Organisational Structure
The General Assembly is the supreme governing body of ESSO and convenes once a year during the ESSO Congress.
All ESSO member in good standing are invited to attend the General Assembly in order to discuss strategic issues, elect the members of the Board of Directors, approve the accounts and budget , and vote on any constitutional changes when relevant.
Below you will find a list of our internal governing bodies:
- The Board of Directors conducts the affairs of the society and implement activities that support its mission. The Board of Directors meets at least twice a year, and its members are elected for a term of two years, renewable once.
- An Executive Committee composed of the officers of the society, namely the President, Past-President, President-Elect, Honorary Secretaty, and Honorary Treasurer, meet on a regular basis in-between the Board of Directors meetings.
- The Education & Training Committee is responsible for the development of ESSO continuing medical education through the organisation of courses and webinars in line with the ESSO Board strategy.
- The Congress Committee is responsible for the development of the annual congress scientific programme.
- The Membership Committee responsible foster the two-way communication between the ESSO Board and the ESSO members.
- The Young Surgeons Committee (EYSAC) whose aim is to help junior surgeons play an active role in the future of surgical oncology.
- A Public Affairs Committee has been created to engage in dialogue with European Union institutions, national governments, international healthcare organizations, patients’ advocacy organisations and other stakeholders to secure a policy and regulatory environment favorable to cancer surgery.
- Ad hoc working groups or Task Forces can be created to tackle specific matters when appropriate.
- A Secretariat composed of 5 staff members supports the governing bodies and committees of the society and implements their decisions.