What is ESSO?
The European Society of Surgical Oncology, ESSO, was established in 1981 to support it's members in advancing the science and practice of surgical oncology for the benefit of cancer patients.
- Organise the biggest congress in surgical oncology in Europe
- Unify the surgical oncology community in a network of over 4,000 members (individuals and corporate)
- Provide education and training to both young and experienced surgeons through courses and e-learning activities
- Publish a monthly Scientific Journal (EJSO-the European Journal of Surgical Oncology)
- Cooperate with other discipline and organ-based societies within European CanCer Organisation
- Contribute to the development of the surgical oncology programme of the European Cancer Congress
- Provide fellowship opportunities
- Offer specific opportunities for cancer surgeons from developing countries to attend the ESSO Congress
- Organise a yearly, in co-operation with the European Board of Surgery, examination in surgical oncology and in breast cancer surgery.
- Support quality assurance projects towards the improvement of cancer care for all patients in Europe